Saturday, May 13, 2006

Interview with Rain

Ilgan Sports Reports
11 May 06
Credit: yunrain@baidu.com

Kr to Ch: yunrain
Ch to Eng: Rayndrop

Note before translation: This is not the full interview. Yunrain has picked out the main points for translation because the passage is too long.

It's 11am in the late morning of 11th May. Rain appeared like a ray of sunshine on the rooftop balcony of a certain building in Seoul Gangnam. His appearance made a beautiful complement to the blue sky of Seoul. He has just came back to Korea on the 10th from the Time 100 party. Although it has been 4 days 3 nights, the trip was very tiring. Yet, you can't see a bit of that tiredness on his face. This day (11th May), he will need to rush back to Pusan later at 8pm to continue the filming of his movie.

Every time I see Rain, a thought will flash across my mind, "Is this really a young man of 24?" Looking from emotional age, he is like a 40 year old who has gone through the sweet and bitter of life. "You can't succeed without experiencing the hardship", "First and foremost, you need to be a good person", "I don't despair when looking up at a mountain; neither do I feel proud when looking down". It's with these principles in mind, no matter what he experiences (like being famous now, or being a nobody), he will quietly work towards his target. This is how he treats others too.

From the "I want to be number one in the music show" Rain in 2002 who has just made his debut, to the soon-to-be global star that he is today, in the Time 100 party where he met up with the rest of the 99 Time Most influential people in the world, Rain brought along his confidence with that killer smile; his target is becoming bigger. It is still a question mark as to how far this young man is can go...

Carrying the responsibility of 60 million people
Rain, who suddenly has the world looking at him, has unforgettable memories of the Time 100 party. "I've never expected to be chosen by Time. It was until I got there and met all these people did it begin to feel real to me. There were many well-known people from all over the world, and the emcee introduced each and every one of these 100 people. The speaker said, 'All 100 of you need to be responsible for 6 billion people, so each of you are responsible for 60 million people. You will feel the burden on your shoulders even as you drink a cup of tea.' At that time, the famous movie producer, Jerry Bruckheimer was just sitting beside me. He said that the era of Asian artistes is here, and that he is currently in a project with Chow Yun Fatt. He gave me a namecard, told me that he has an office at LV, and asked me to drop by when I'm free. I'm surprised that he take such initiatives with me." Rain then went on to discuss the NY article that said he was imitating Michael Jackson. "That journalist who wrote the comment has never seen my concert before. He merely wrote his commentary based on watching my DVD. Later he wrote a correction and called me to apologise. I told him that my idol is Michael Jackson, and that I'm not perfect."

Rain, who grew up with a impoverished family background, saw dancing as his only way out. The story about his mother who suffered from diabetes, yet asked JYP to put all the money into grooming her son rather than spending them on her hospitalisation bills, as well as the Rain's love for his family, has become very famous.

He attended the Time 100 party with his father. "This is a good present for father. Father usually do not comment on my affairs, but this time, he said to me, 'congratulations'. I think I'm still not doing enough for father. In future, when I have time to rest, i will spend more time accompanying him. If mother is still around, I would act more childishly with her, throwing coy tantrums. Mother changed my life. It would nice if she is still around. But then, such thoughts have run through my head too many times."

He talked about his family and some other related stuff: "During high school, my school results were very bad. Jin Young Hyung said he won't let me release my album if I don't make it to the university. So I went through 2 mock questions everyday and memorised all my math formulae. AT that time, my mock exam results average was about 200 (over 400 points). I clenched my jaws and made a 314 during my exams, finally making it to the university.

I asked him why he work so hard towards his goals, he said he'll like to be an adult. "For a happy family. I work so hard now so I can be an honorable person. I want my children to see all these. After I get married, I want to be able to gain respect from others. Just like how I wanted to be like daddy, it will be nice if my son can have such thoughts too."

Ever thought of getting married after coming back from the US? "I like pretty and kind girls who can cook well. But even if i have a girlfriend now, it wouldn't last. I've forgotten how to treat a girl like one. I used to arrange for activities...although I've brought this up with my assistant before: 'I want to hold my girlfriend's hand, want to go on a honeymoon trip with her...but it's not possible within the next 3-4 years. I need to work hard."

Going back to 6 years ago
"Starting from now" he looks trustworthy. His trip to NY this time has given him new understandings. "The truth is, nobody in the US knows my name. Only some contacts know about Rain. I have never had any promotional activities in US before. This time to NY, I wrote the words "back to 6 years ago" on the wall paper of my handphone. At Times Square, I took my camera and got someone to help take a picture of me. I want to my actions to speak for themselves."

His merit is to be able to pin down his goals, and move towards them steadily. "This year, I want to master my English, then appear in US next year with a new look. Their music is a little like our folk songs. I need to learn that kind of singing technique and create our "spicy R&B". Responses from relevant people are positive."

He pointed out "I have a bigger weapon. Every time I have a new idea, I write it down in my notebook. Running Away From The Sun was borned like that. Some time ago, I looked at my lastyear worth of notes and I had some scary thoughts. This year probably won't do. Next year when I release my album in the US, there will be some earth-shattering stuff. Please look forward to them.

He talked a little about the "Cyborg" movie. I'm learning so much from Director Pak now, and it's very comfortable working with him. This movie is a journey of new discovery for me. I don't harbour too much. I play Ilsun, a patient in a mental hospital. He can steal people's special characteristics. Ok, that's it. I can't say anymore". He takes the director's note of confidentiality very seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home