Sunday, February 12, 2006

People Interview: Rain's Mentor, JY Park

It has been a week since Rain's concert in Madison Square Garden. Despite the pre-concert excitement and post-concert criticisms, in general, people's expectation and beliefs in Rain's potential remain as before. Singer become producer JY Park discovered and nurtured "Rain". In October, reporters see the revenue of 35 million won generated by Rain. Below is the interview with JY Park, creator of this "Rain Syndrome".
Q: What are the various responses to Rain's debut concert performance in Madison Square Garden?
A: The performance in NY this time is really more to introduce Rain to potential working partners in the US, and not so much of a official entry into the US market. Reading too much into it is just adding burden on ourselves. The milestone is really his debut album to be released in this US in October this year. We're aiming at a sales figure of 500,000. By increasing his popularity through TV commercials, movies and collaborations with well-known American artistes, I believe this sales figure should be well on target.
Q: The article on the NY Times criticized the performance as unoriginal. Any comments on that?
A: I have no worries at all when it comes to Rain's performances and the music I write. I feel that the writer's innuendo of "can you do it as well as the Americans" is skewed away from an unbiased commentary. In addition, to be honest, the music that is well-received in Korea and Asia generally is slightly behind in terms of music style to that in the US. The appraisal on Rain's performance could have been affected by his prejudiced views on the music. Irregardless of criticisms, we are receiving overwhelming response from the records industry.

Q: What are some of the concrete development in plan?
A: It wasn't easy inviting the MDs and music people from renowned record companies like Island Def Jam, and they have given positive feedback on the performance. About three or four record companies have expressed interests in working together, proposing to set up a record company especially, focusing on Rain and introducing Asian music. We're also in the midst of negotiations on television commercials and movies.

Q: Rain is already very popular. Why does he absolutely need to go into the US market?
A: I must re-emphasize, this is a move to continue his popularity and development in Asia. One thing is for sure: next year, there may be a "China Rain". Although he may only have half of Rain's capabilities, the Chinese community is bound to give this "China Rain" more support. Korea was once crazy about the "New Kids On The Block". But after H.O.T came out, almost nobody (in Korea) showed attention to N'Sync, Backstreet Boys and other American boybands. Hence, we cannot just be contented with our current state. To achieve success in the most prestigious America stage is the only way for Rain to be recognized as the number artiste in Asia. In order to dominate the ever-expanding Asia market, breaking into the US market is a must.

JYP is not just the producer who create the phenomenal "Rain". He is also the producer of well-known US artistes such as Will Smith (Willard Christopher Smith). JY Park ventured into the US market for a reason. Two years ago, JY Park was renting a small room in L.A. With his CDs in a backpack, he knocked on the doors of more than 20 records companies in vain. Just as he was feeling hopeless, a record company called Executive Sony Music found him and asked him to do music arrangement for Will Smith's album. This was 11 months after he went to the US.

Q: Is to prove your abilities?
A: Haha...perhaps I just couldn't take it anymore. Honestly speaking, I was marketing myself in a typical Korean manner. Since I didn't have any chances to meet up with the high-level executives, I may as well give out my demo CDs to the office employees. Sometimes I order takeaways just to have a simple meal with them, and try to crack more jokes. After a while, I became popular among these people. Perhaps that's why the people in charge are willing to have a hear at my music.

Q: Some criticized that the music your produced for G.O.D and Park Ji Yoon are just replicas of the black R&B music.
A: The "black music" doesn't have solo-singing formats, because the music is simple, basic and straightforward. When people bring up such criticisms, I thought, "these people really have high expectations of me!" and I decided to go to the US. While I was on the plane, I thought "these people mean to tell me to do a good one. Well then, I shall go US and be the number one."

Q: As an artiste, you had many anti-fans, perhaps due to your straightforward personality.
A: The truth is, I never wanted to be someone whom the entire nation is in love with. I'm contented with half of the people saying things like, "that XX, what an ill-luck fellow!" but the other half thinking I'm not so bad. I wish I can be an artiste forever and still retain my original personality. Up till now, there are anti-remarks online saying things like, "JY Park, don't go disgracing Korea in US". Once I have time, I copy these remarks and read them on my laptop. Because to me, these remarks motivates me; they give me strength to go on. Do I sound perverted? Haha¡...

Q: Before going to the US, you were quite vocal about several social issues.
A: I haven't been reading the papers lately, and I've stopped learning new things for a while. This can't go on. Personally, I like capitalism, but I hate the way the capitalists monopolizes the way the world thinks. I have liberal opinions on topics like male chauvinism, census law systems, sex issues etc. Hence no matter whether it's the progressive or the conservatives in power, I'll still put up my oppositions with regards to these issues. The society believes in the strength of the spirit and neglects the importance of feeling with our body. To me, both the body and the spirit are important.

Q: Ever thought how it'll feel to be standing on Rain's stage?
A: Have I ever! Honestly, I envy Rain a lot. What I regret is that when I was a singer, there was no someone like JY Park (to guide me). If Rain firms his hold in the US, I'd like to release an album of my own in Korea.

Q: There were rumours some time back about Rain wanting to leave JYPE.
A: The relationship between Rain and me goes deeper than just working colleagues. We're on very good terms, so this is just meaningless gossips. Rain was once my disciple, and if I'm still a singer, he'll be my partner. We often discuss office issues together. Bringing a person to stardom is a kind of ability, but creating a megastar requires a humble, down-to-earth mentality. This is one area Rain cannot be faulted for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home