Saturday, November 18, 2006

Cyborg Press Conference

Credit: ent.tom.com// baidu.com// qiqi@biwithrain
Kr to Ch: 夏天 (xiatian); Edited by 阿第 (Ah Di)
Ch to Eng: rayndrop

9th November, 11am. Movie "I'm a Cyborg but that's Ok" press conference was held at Imperial Palace Hotel, Seoul. Well-known director Pak Chan Wook appeared at the event together with leading actress Im Soo Jung and leading actor Jeong Jihoon. Pak Chan Wook, Rain and Im Soo Jung can be viewed as three of the most popular figures in the Korean entertainment industry today. This point alone was sufficient to attract the media's attention.

"I'm a Cyborg but that's Ok" is a romantic comedy which speaks of a love story based in an asylum between a girl, Young-gun (played by Im Soo Jung) who thinks she's a cyborg, and a guy, Il-sun, who does not care that Young-gun is a cyborg.

Director Pak enjoys significant popularity overseas because of the two movies directed, "Sympathy for Lady Vengence" and "Old Boy". The movie this time is entirely different from Director pak's usual style. It is a movie filled with elements of science fiction and romance. During the press conference, Director Pak expressed that he has been wanting to do a new movie with an entirely fresh concept that is more light-hearted. He is filled with anticipation for this new piece of work.

The other limelight of this movie is the participation of the Korean entertainment industry's "heavenly king and queen". Im Soo Jung's popularity has been surging in Korea recently, while Rain's singing performance career is at its peak. Im Soo Jung joked and said that she plays a girl who has mental problems. Since nobody is able to understand her, she can act in whichever weird ways she likes. Rain continued to maintain his gentle and humble demeanor and said, "I'm very happy to be working with Director Park and Im Soo Jung. I'm grateful to the crew members who gave him plenty of assistance. We believe the partnership between the two will ignite much brilliant sparks.

Q: You have many scenes in the movie when you mumble to yourself. Do you do that normally?

Im Soo Jung: I don't have that habit (laughs)! At the beginning, I didn't know how I was going to act this part. Later, Director Pak told me to imagine that I'm actually a cyborg who is only capable of communicating with lifeless people, to imagine non-living things as living friends.

Q: What did you gain from the process of filming this movie?

Jeong Jihoon: The movie woke up many dusty memories of mine. The side of my character which has been ignored has surfaced once again. Il-sun's stubborness, cuteness, youthful rashness and innocence belong to a side of me which I rarely show. Through the playing of this character, I found myself again. Also, Il-sun is a guy with a strong sense of responsibility. He's always looking out for others. This is something that touches me very much.

Q: Please tell us why you decided to cast Rain and Im Soo Jung?

Pak Chan Wook: I've always been hoping for a chance to rope Rain in for my project. The first time I saw him was at the voice-dubbing session for "Sympathy for Lady Vengence". He was there to look for Lee Young-Ae, and was quietly watching us work from aside, secretly learning. At that time, I thought to myself, "A hardworking young man as such will most certainly make it big one day. Although I've never found the right opportunity for us to work together, but I've never stopped paying attention to him. Im Soo Jung is one of the female actresses whom I like a lot. In particular, her performance in the drama serial "School 4" left a deep impression on me. I've always been monitoring her progress. Through the years, her acting has matured significantly. When I decided to do a project with a youthful theme, she's the first person I thought of.

Q: What is the message you are hoping to convey to viewers through this movie?

Jeong Jihoon: I hope that after watching this movie, people will look forward to a wonderful life from the bottom of their hearts, and pay more concern to mental patients. We often discriminate against mental patients, but the truth is, they are a lot more simple and innocent compare to us. They possess the utmost innocence qualities of normal people. We shouldn't discriminate against and give up on them. Instead, we should give them more concern.

Q: The OST of this movie "Lullaby" is performed by you. It's very nice.

Jeong Jihoon: This is the first time I'm singing a lullaby since my debut. Lullabies are not difficult to sing, but the person singing it must sing it from his/ her heart. You need to sing it with a heart full of love to console the person you love deeply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home