Friday, March 24, 2006

Magic of Love of Another Korean Drama: Scriptwriter Lee Kyung Hee comments on Rain in Sangdoo

This is the reason why I love Sangdoo so much. I wont try to elaborate just read on!



I’ve adopted a strict attitude toward Rain right from the start.

I told him "You're the male lead in this drama. If you do badly, everything you’ve done will go down the drain". So you must work hard, follow Hyojin closely and learn well.

Because of this, Rain was very nervous.

But he really did do well.

In the beginning, I was the one who gave him the role of Sangdoo. But over time, I began to feel that he was the one telling me what kind of a role Sangdoo really is.

Of course, Sangdoo is Rain, and Rain made Sangdoo come alive.

Now to think of it, without Rain's interpretation, the character Sangdoo would never have come alive. So he really did do very well.

Rain really works very hard. I think it is hard on him physically, so much so he may be starting to lose his hair. He is really going through a hard time.

In the drama, his role kept switching between the present and the past; now he's a gigolo; the next moment, he's back to becoming a student. Hence his hairstyle was always changing, sometimes up to 6 times a day. No wonder he's losing his hair.

In the original script, only Sangdoo was supposed to die.

It was supposed to portray Sangdoo as putting in his all his effort, tried hard and struggled to live on, but fate is cruel. Even a person who tried so hard to survive still died in the end.

So I had planned to let Sangdoo die peacefully.

When I was writing episode 15, I received Hyejin’s mail.

"Please don't kill Sangdoo. If you must kill him, please kill me too. Because if Sangdoo dies, I won't be able to live on too."

At first I was bewildered by this whole thing, but she mailed me 6 times in total.
So I decided to call her, asking her what exactly did she think she was doing?
Told her it's Sangdoo dying, not Rain. But she said, "If Sangdoo dies, Eunhwan will not be able to live too. Please let Sangdoo live. Otherwise, just kill us both."

I have completed my script and I cannot change it, neither do I plan to change it. I told her the script may under-run, and she actually told me to re-write the script!

I was terribly angry, reprimanded, "How dare you ask me to rewrite the script, idiot?"

After hanging up, I was unable to ignore the issue, so I called Rain and asked for his opinion.

Rain told me, "I don't know, but if Sangdoo really dies alone, his life is really too sad. What sin did he commit so much so that he has to die alone?"

After that issue, I saw the two at the filming site. Suddenly it occurred to me that killing Sangdoo alone is indeed very cruel.

Ah~ These two are indeed inseparable. Let them stay together then, whether live or dead, I thought.

I had set the tone for the scene in the jail.

Sangdoo was supposed to express that he is not tired, and doesn't feel that his life is sad despite being in jail.

This is because in his heart, Eunhwan is always by his side, hence his life is not too tragic.

But during the filming, Rain kept crying.

I didn't indicate in the script for him to cry, but he was totally into the role, so he couldn't help but sob. He was crying so sadly he could speak properly and had to stop filming for a while.

Thinking back, Rain is right, Because he has completely became Sangdoo.

There was a scene when Sangdoo wanted his uncle to teach him how to play cards. His uncle was surprised because Sangdoo had said he'll never touch that stuff. In actual fact, the part that was being cut away explained how he sworn off gambling because that was how Sangdoo's real father gambled his life away. But because Eunhwan's mother liked people who play cards, she he wanted to pick it up too.

Credit: Rainhk.com// jinlees@ soompi//
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/jw!FKpzp1mf...article?mid=721

Kr to Jp: 3asian
Jp to Ch: Just once
Ch to Eng: Rayndrop

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home